Over the past few weeks, you may have noticed the adverts on TV for Guinness clear. During the advert, they sell the idea of Guinness clear as a new alcoholic product, however, if you watch it until the end, you soon realise that Guinness clear is actually promoting a harm reduction drinking message.
Good?… Bad?… You Decide!…
In our local area and across the UK, this has become a real talking point within abstinence based programs, forums, blogs and others.
As mentioned previously, they “sell” their message of harm reduction as if Guinness clear is a new alcoholic product. They also show this advert on TV earlier then other drinking/gambling based adverts.
This is where you decide if it’s good, bad or indifferent. Is this style of advert a good idea or is it just causing more temptation for our friends and family members who are addicted to alcohol?
You can view the advert for yourself here:
Want To Know What We Think?
We think this advert is a great way to get the message out to remind people of the basic tips and and harm reduction techniques to reduce the harm done to those who drink as well as promoting the message to get help with your drinking if it’s getting out of hand.
In these modern times, it’s such a shame that all of the various types of media (TV, newspapers, radio, posters, billboards ect) aren’t utilised as well as they could/should be in order to get the public awareness message about addiction, harm reduction and the general facts, scientific evidence to rid the myths, lies and misinformation that is still commonly found floating around within the the vast majority of the UK.
If these other forms of media were better utilised, we could get many more people into treatment which would not only benefit them, their close friends and family, but also their community and on a wider scale, providing productivity and benefit the country economically through work, the reduction of state benefits and added pressure on the NHS, mental health services and primary/social care services.
Do You Agree With Us Or Totally Disagree? Let Us Know!…
Want Help For Your Drinking?
If you want help and support for your drinking, you can find contact information for a wide variety of charities, groups and organisations who can help you on our help and support page here.
Not sure if your drinking is a problem? Find out using our CAGE screening tool here.
Want More Like This?…
- On Second Thoughts – Thought Of The DayWe all have had those times when thoughts of using or drinking come to mind, sometimes with real ferocity. For example, those days after lockdown has started to take one step back toward normality, you might find yourself wondering down a high street, past a pub and you suddenly glance at the cold sweat running down the outside of a freshly poured pint of beer or suddenly get a waft of that distinctive cannabis smell from someone else nearby.
- Why Do We Have A Strong Urge To Find Out What Might Have Been — Even When This Leads To Feelings Of Regret?Given the aversive experience of regret, traditional models of decision-making predict that people should to try to avoid it. But of course, the picture is more complex — we all have experienced the desire to know “what might have been”, even if it leads to regret. Now a study in Psychological Science, led by Lily FitzGibbon at the University of Reading, finds that the lure of finding out what might have been is surprisingly enticing. As an extra bonus, you’ll find our 10 top tips for dealing With the regret surrounding past deeds while in addiction and/or recovery and what you can do next.
- Can You Cure Yourself of A Drug Addiction, Simply By Wanting It? Actor Charlie Sheen Seems To Think So!Actor Charlie Sheen, known for his heavy cocaine and alcohol use, has been stating in interviews that he freed himself of his drug habit “simply by closing my eyes and make it so” according to him. Is this public display damaging the hard work that those in the recovery field work so hard to build upon, and the addicts who come to succeed in their recovery thanks to various coping strategies, organisations and fellowship groups? Find out all you need to know inside this article!…
- Happy Easter EveryoneHappy Easter everyone! Today is an occasion to celebrate not only Easter, but also the work and determination that you’ve been applying towards your recovery.
- Who Would You Give To, A Homeless Dad Or A Homeless Addict?With a pair of cardboard signs, prankster Coby Persin conducted a social experiment that tested the consciences of New Yorkers. Would you be more likely to give money to a homeless man who says he will use it for drugs and alcohol, or a homeless father with a coughing child beside him? Find out how the experiment went and let us know by commenting below our article, or through our social media platforms, have a think, what you would do?…
- Make Today Your Day To Say No!